Prospective Student Pop Quiz
Release Date: 11-08-2012
If you are a prospective student, try this 23 question pop quiz.
Which school of architecture in the State of Michigan do you think can claim all of the following?
1. A multiple national award winner from the National Council of Architecture Registration Boards for our innovative “integration of practice and the academy.”
2. Faculty play a key role in the City of Detroit’s “Detroit Future City” project, which has established new cutting edge planning and development ideas for the city.
3. A full six-year accreditation term having met 100% of all student performance criteria for our past two accreditation visits.
4. Part of a University consistently ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a Top 25 masters level regional university in the mid west (one of the highest rankings in the state.)
5. A faculty project named one of the AIA 10 Best Houses of 2012.
6. Student work exhibited at the prestigious international Venice Biennale Exhibit in 2012.
7. Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture student design competition 1st place awards, 2011 & 2012.
Great Student Experience
8. The only school with its own private, custom designed facility in Italy, giving students the chance to spend a full semester in Tuscany for about the same cost as living on campus.
9. The only school with a full semester exchange program with Warsaw Institute of Technology, also giving students the opportunity to spend a semester in Poland.
10. 2011 winner of the American Institute of Architecture Students Award for best chapter in the country.
11. The only school with a required internship program giving students real world hands-on work experience.
12. Great personal attention in a supportive student centered environment with small class sizes.
Social Justice Perspective
13. Recognized by Architect Magazine as one of 6 schools in the country committed to social justice.
14. The only school with its own in-house architecture practice giving students the opportunity to work on real projects while serving their local community (our in-house practice was recently named as one of the top 100 most influential organizations in the country for “public interest design.”)
15. The only accredited school of architecture anywhere in North America at a Jesuit or Mercy University, ensuring students a great well-rounded education with an emphasis on leadership and service.
16. The best overall passing rates in the state on the architecture license exams four years in a row.
17. An alumnus named by President Obama to the National Institute of Building Sciences Board of Directors.
18. An alumnus who is currently national President of the American Institute of Architects.
19. Alumni named the “Best Young Architect of the Year” in Detroit 4 of the past 6 years.
20. Two UDM alumni tied for the “Best Young Architect of 2013” for the entire State of Michigan (3 winners at this level in the past 5 years.)
21. A UDM School of Architecture graduate student won the statewide award from AIA Michigan for the best student design project in Michigan in 2013.
22. In 2013, 6 of the 8 available scholarships awarded statewide by the Michigan Architecture Foundation went to UDM students.
23. Even with all these benchmarks for quality, for many accomplished students UDM is actually the most affordable choice, given its a 5 year accelerated program and our generous scholarships and financial aid (including 10 endowed scholarships in the School of Architecture).